Saturday, May 29, 2010

Delicious Breakfast Muffins

I enjoy mornings, but like everyone else - sometimes I'm running a little late. I had wanted to try and create a nice breakfast muffin, so that I could eat it while walking to work. It had to be very hearty and filling - and delicious of course. I ended up adapting a recipe from Women's Health magazine, their Papaya and Pineapple Muffins. I didn't change much...but enough for me :) (My changes will be in bold).
Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 C whole-wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 C crushed pineapple, drained
  • 1 C cubed papaya
  • 1/3 C yogurt
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 2 tbsp canola oil (I used olive oil)
  • 1/4 C sugar (I used honey)
  • 1/4 C agave syrup (I couldn't find this, so I just omitted it and used more crushed pineapple and yogurt)
  • 1/4 C walnuts (I used more - just whatever I had left in my cupboards)
  • 1/2 C dried cranberries (I used 3/4c. and then sprinkled more on top)
  • One banana cubed
  • 3 Tbsp of ground flaxseed
Generally, I just used more of the 'good-stuff' hehe.

(from women's health mag:)
Instructions:
1.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
3.
In a food processor or blender, puree pineapple, papaya, and yogurt. Mix in egg, oil, sugar, and syrup.
4.
Combine pineapple and flour mixtures; fold in walnuts and cranberries.
5.
Spoon batter into paper-lined muffin cups. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool on a wire rack. Makes 12.

And ta-da! delicious morning muffins!



No comments: