Sunday, August 8, 2010

Book Review: Cleavage )(

Now, now this book isn't what you think it is...that is, if you're thinking with a dirty mind. This short novel, by Canadian author Theanna Bischoff, is a compilation of tidbits of a woman's life before, during and after dealing with breast cancer. The story takes place in Calgary, Alberta. It's about her relationships with her family, friends, significant others as well as her semi-developing spiritual relationship.

Although it was a decent read, I don't think it was one of my favourites. The tidbits are very disjointed, that sometimes you have to wonder about the relevance of certain parts at all - since they're so random, and don't necessarily tie into the story or contribute to it. You're going all ways too, that sometimes I wonder if a particular event is before or after another - which makes a huge difference in some instances.

Also the author didn't 'end' it. She left it at an ending that you could interpret as you pleased. Sometimes this is okay, but there's an additional segment of the book where she explains that she just didn't know what people would want, so she left it as it (although she also says in her shorter, pre-novel, version she did end it). But anyways, I like endings. Whether it's an ending I agree with or not, I don't like 'not knowing'. And, I think the author might have been too scared to make such a decision since it is her first novel.

I give this book 2.5 out of 5

I would recommend this read still. Not just to women, but both men and women. Being that breast cancer is so evident in our society now, even in men. It isn't a 'heroic' perspective. It is of a girl, who develops breast cancer and learns new way to deal with life's challenges.

No comments: