Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Day 3: Snowflake Stamp Ornaments

title

For this DIY, we’re making ornaments out of clay. They don’t have to be snowflakes – they can really be any shape that you want to cut out. Once again, I did this in the evening, so the lighting isn’t amazing.

Here’s what you need:

  • Clay of a sort – I used Fimo, but you can use any sort of clay.
  • Cookie cutter to make a shape
  • Stamps – to stamp your design in
  • Paint brush to smooth imperfections, fetching stray hairs ect.
    • Optional: glazing / clear coat, acrylic paints.

Instructions to create these lovelies:

  1. Roll out clay until fairly thin.IMG_1871
  2. Stamp your designs into the clay, being careful to get the imprints deep enough
  3. Use the cookie cutter to cut out the shape, peel the clay from around the clay and cookie cutter (I keep it in the cookie cutter for stability reasons until I’m done).
  4. Poke a hole through the top with the end of the paint brush for a ribbon later
  5. Place on the baking sheet. If using Fimo, or another baking-required clay, follow directions to bake. If air-dry clay, let dry completely – this may take a day or three.

The rest of this tutorial is optional. You can stop here if you`d like to keep your ornament simply white. For those who are continuing, you will need acrylic paint. I`m using a dark blue.

6. Use a small paint blue to paint inside the stamps. This might be difficult depending on your design. Wait until dry.

7. Use white paint to correct the areas where the blue might have taken control of itself:

IMG_1907

8. Finish with a clear, protective coat and string a ribbon through. Hang and enjoy :)

Here are some of the others that I created. If you don’t have a cookie cutter at all, you can always form a circle shape with your hands. The unevenness seems to add to the artsy-ness of the piece.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

These look like so much fun.... I wonder if I can convince Pat to bring me to Michaels again after being there so recently..... or maybe I'll get lucky at walmart... hmmmmmm...

emma @ frog, goose and bear said...

Angie these are gorgeous! I love the addition of colour! I want a snowflake cookie cutter too now!